Pages

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Burning up

It's been 2 weeks since my course started and I am already "burning up". Not in a sense that I am getting exhausted from studying but in a sense that I am spending lots of time in front of computer and my eyes are getting tires. Yesterday I made a posting on the Social Media Forum:

Safety First
Friday, 24 January 2014, 11:53 PM

Picture of Andrey MurphyI've been spending a lot of time recently in front of a computer screen, not sure why but could because of the course I am taking :) After a period of time I feel fatigued and to relieve the eye strain I walk away from the screen for a few minutes. After a short search regarding the effect of monitors on human eye I found this: "extensive testing in government and private laboratories has not produced scientific evidence that computer monitors will harm your eyes. Research has established that computer monitors emit little or no hazardous radiation, such as x-ray or non-ionizing radiation, such as ultraviolet rays" http://www.pasadenaeye.com/faq/faq08/faq08_text.html. This is a good news but anyone can still fill the effect of being in front of screen or prolonged periods of time with the following consequences:


  • Eye discomfort
  • Headaches
  • Itchy eyes
  • Dry or watering eyes
  • Burning sensations
  • Changes in color perception
  • Difficulty focusing
  • Blurred vision

I made a posting regarding my concern on the social media study forum and here is a reply I got from Brianna Peters:




20-20-20 rule
e.g. http://www.labnol.org/software/computer-eye-exercise/14069

I have heard this rule a few times, but I think it's appropriate to your comment. The rules is that every 20 minutes, you look away from your computer screen to a point 20 feet away for a period of 20 seconds. Obviously it was designed by an American, as we Canadian don't deal in the imperial system anymore! You can set a timer on one of your electronic device to dingle every 20 minutes as a reminder. In addition you can get out of your chair and do some stretches or relaxation exercises.



No comments:

Post a Comment