Pages

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Daily Occurrence

I wonder if, since I've started working in the educational system, I've been getting colds and flus more frequently.  Even though I constantly wash my hands, which according to WebMD is supposed to keep the flu virus at bay, I am still getting it.  Being around many students on campus does not help the issue either, so I must be getting the virus via the airborne droplets.  Being sick does not bother me much, it's somewhat annoying, but being stuck at home makes me spend time on the PIDP 3240 course I am taking online.  As I am typing this blog entry, I am reminded of the advantage of taking a course online and, in my case, is being able to do the assignments while being sick - in the comfort of my home.

When I was a child, my mother used to give me tea with raspberry jam every time I had a cold. Once I drank the mixture, she would wrap me up in the warm blanket with one purpose:  for me to sweat.  This was one of the old and tried ways to deal with common colds in my country.  It seemed to work and, even though I don't like to admit it, but I have done this myself several times. Even though the idea of sweating seems odd, I found out much later that this idea had merit.  I came across an article in a local newspaper, outlining recent research on how body temperature affects the cold and flu.  I don't have a link to that article, but surprisingly enough, it stated along the same line of thought as in this link:  "scientists have found more evidence that elevated body temperature helps certain types of immune cells to work better"  This probably has some weight, since many people usually feel much better after having a hot shower or a bath.  The article in the newspaper, on the other hand, wasn't giving any suggestions as to how to deal with the flu or recommending any miracle medications, but it was pointing out that there is a definite time reduction in the flu virus incubation period if someone's body temperature was elevated even by 1°C.  So, whether odd or not, there might be a reason why my mother put raspberry jam in my tea and then wrapped me up to raise my temperature. The raspberries gave me the added benefit of vitamin C and their antioxidant properties.  While there are many traditional and non-traditional ways to fight the flu, there is no consensus as to what works the best.  But in the meanwhile, I am going to have a cup of NeoCitran, wrap myself up in blankets and see what tomorrow brings.

Do you have a similar story as how the common cold or flu was treated in your country?  I would love to hear it.  Please leave a comment.  Thank you, and stay healthy during this flu season.

No comments:

Post a Comment